Blue Monk, Thelonius Monk
Concert Key - Sheets
What Key am I in?
Most others, including Dexter Gordon and Herbie Hancock play it in F. (Melody starting on A guitar / B sax ) The tune kicks off with two chromatic runs to land on the octave above the root. Monk;s version Key B - Start chromatics on E-flat and go up to the B above. Dexter Gordon's Version - Key F - Start on A and work up to the Oct F above. Starting with 4-note ascending runs from the
3rd,4th flat 5th, 5th then
another from the 6th, flat 7th, 7th 8th = Root not Octave above. Common keys F-blues starting on A = Sax G-blues (Concert F) starting on b , C-blues starting on E , B-blues starting on E-flat
Roccos Jazz Club Blue Monk Key
|🎸 Guitars & Bass||F||A|
|🎷 Tenor & Soprano Sax||G||E|
|🎷 Alto & Baritone Sax||D||F#|
|🥁 Drums||H minor half snared||Triangle :)|
Melody Intervalic Structure
- Find what key the band are playing it in.
- If the root is Doh. Go Doh-Ray-Me to land on the major 3rd starting note.
- Play this Major 3rd note to start a chromatic run from the major 3rd up to the 5th. This lands on 3 scale tones 3rd 4th and 5th but fills in the gap between the 4th and 5th. This not between the 4th and 5th is often called the blues note.
- Take a one beat rest before jumping up one tone to start the second chromatic run up.
- Play this 2nd upward chromatic run from the 6th up to the 8th
6th flat-7th 7th and Octave 8th
Note: this chromatic run also lands on 3 out of 4 major scale tones.
- Fluff about descending from the 5th back to the root.
- Make it up as you go along and hope it generally gels in with the chords
BLUE MONK Guitar Chords Concert F
Chord Chart for BLUE MONK Guitar Chords Concert F
|1. F7||2. Bb7||3. F D7||4. G F7|
|5. Bb||6. B dim7||7. F7 C7||8. F|
|9. C7||10. C7||11. F||12. C7|